Your greatest asset may be the people who work within your company. When the last employee
has gone home for the day, the computers, desks and equipment, by themselves, will be useless until the next
business day when your staff returns.
- Why Have Written Human Resource (Personnel) Policies? - Avoid confusion and potential legal action against your business by putting resource/personnel policies in writing.
- Human Resource Policy - Adapt this example of a Human Resource policy statement to make clear what is required of your employees and what they can expect from you.
- Temporary/Contract Hires vs. Permanent - Like the idea of "try before you buy?" A temporary or contract worker may be just the thing for your business.
- How to Accomplish Specific Tasks Using Temporary - and Skilled - Services - These guidelines will help you hire the right temporary employees for your business.
- Recruiting, Selecting and Hiring Someone - Attracting the "right" applicants, screening for compatibility and navigating legal issues are key considerations in staff-building.
- Benefits - Learn about benefit categories in terms of what are required by law, approximate costs and ways to save money while offering competitive packages.
- Performance Management - Performance management is a vital part of keeping your business running smoothly. Follow these steps to develop a model that works for you.
- Employee Retention and Motivation - True motivation, the basis for retention, comes from the employees themselves. Here are some tips for inspiring your staff.
- Discipline - Read here for ways to effectively apply discipline in your business, from using positive consequences to what to do if you must terminate an employee.
- Employment Laws - This article covers some of the major requirements of federal and state employment law. For specific situations, though, consult a labor and employment law attorney.
- Additional HR Resources - While the Small Business Administration and SCORE are great resources for small business owners, there are other places to seek help, too.